History of the Junior Forest Wardens
The seeds of Junior Forest Wardens were planted in the 1920s when some young boys reported a forest fire to a Forest Ranger in British Columbia. Their story was published in Forests and Outdoors magazine, the official publication of the Canadian Forestry Association. The response to the story was incredible. Boys from across British Columbia contacted the author wondering how they could help their local rangers.
In response to the inquiries the local manager from the Canadian Forestry Association, Charles Wilkinson, decided to teach youth about forest protection and established the warden program. By 1930, 300 boys in the province were involved in the warden program. Five years later, in 1935, our 'Red Shirt' uniform was created and first worn. By 1936, individual clubs had spontaneously and eagerly formed.
The first such clubs were in the Vancouver region because of the high concentration of local wardens. Gradually the movement spread into Alberta. Sisters of active wardens naturally became interested in the program and wanted to take part. The year 1944 saw the formation of the 'Girl Forest Guards.'
By 1974 the Guards and the Wardens had combined to form Junior Forest Wardens. For more Junior Forest Warden History, please visit the Junior Forest Wardens Association Website